Sunday, May 4, 2008

Another Year Older

Today I am 26. No longer "early 20s" -- but actually "pushing 30," right?? Considering the events of the past month, it seems like I am more of an adult than ever before. A real job, life in an actual house after years of apartments, and a real-life breathing daughter on my lap. Last year on my birthday I was drinking frozen concoctions and accidentally getting really drunk at a local horse show... It was fun (I think)... This year I'm wearing Eeyore pajama pants and mastering the art of typing with one hand while holding a tiny baby hand with the other. And while I'm not ready to hang up my sequin tube tops and tie on my apron strings, pushing a stroller around the neighborhood sounds like more fun than a romantic stroll on the beach. Singing along to the Country Hits channel on cable while doing a "diaper changing" dance takes precedence over rocking out in a karaoke bar, and counting to ten in three different languages is the deepest conversation I've had today.

Still -- I managed to pull off a fancy 3- hour dinner at a fondue restaurant last night with a few sips of wine. Had to make a quick trip to the restroom for some creative nursing, but enjoyed the company and food nonetheless. My little girl was there beside me the whole time, napping and making squeeky noises here and there to remind us all that she was still there. And I realized that I may be getting older, and taking on more responsibility than ever, but I am the best version of myself ever. I have great friends, motivation in life, wonderful family, a home I love, a dog I adore and the baby girl that I've always dreamed of.

So no shots of tequila like my 21st birthday, or wild Cubs games like my 24th -- but a snuggle bug to hold and a whole host of blessings to count.

So Happy Birthday to me. It's the best one so far...

No comments: