Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Family

Today just made me realize how incredibly blessed my daughter is to have so many awesome people who love her...

When I was pregnant, I remember wondering how I would ever be able to make it with my own "family" living so far away in Indiana... I considered packing up my huge (at the time) self, and saying good bye to Florida life forever. After all, it wouldn't be fair to my daughter to not have family (aside from me) around her.

But instead of boxing up a job I loved, and packing away some of the best moments of my life lived here in FL, I determined that I was going to give it a shot right here. After all, my parents said, the door would always be open in Indiana if I needed to walk back through it. My Dad said, "Don't assume failure... assume victory, and see where the pieces fall."

And from the moment I decided to plant some roots right here, things began to improve in my favor. I was offered a safe, beautiful home to live in, with an awesome and understanding roommate -- a home where Emme has her own pink nursery, I have my own purple bathroomand even my dog was welcomed.

My aunt, who has coached over 50 women in childbirth, was only 2 hours away, and made it in time for my delivery.

My job told me that it was "silly" to do work there that I could just as easily do at home. So my daughter gets to see my face (um....good or bad?) every morning, and I still get to see my colleagues pretty regularly and make connections in my field.

And I've been exceedingly grateful for these, and so many other, things since becoming a mom. But above all else, I am most thankful for the family that Emme is surrounded by everyday -- both biological, and otherwise.

She has awesome grandparents, always looking for a reason to see her (um, kate, I think you might have left a blankie here... maybe you should come pick it up?)

A terriffic aunt, and rather silly, but well-meaning uncle...

A babysitter known as "Nana" -- who dresses her up for Halloween in September and never wants me to take her home.

A roommate who can make her giggle, always... and another roommate just a few months younger than her who she tries to talk to in "baby chat."

Two "aunties" who let her play in their swimming pool, spit up on their nice clothes and sleepover if mommy has to work late...

She has the support of all my co-workers, both from the newspaper and from the restaurant, who woud probably all give her the shirt off their backs if her lower lip so much as quivered...

And she has her Dad... who is still learning, just like me, how to be a good parent, but loves her unconditionally...

This isn't a traditional family tree, but it's the most incredible safety net of people I could ever hope my child could have.

And when you factor in the family and friends so many miles away who feel the same way about her, it's staggering.

So, if you are one of the important people in my daughter's life (which is just about everyone that I know) -- thank you. Whether there are golden leaves falling off the tree outside your window, or palm trees swaying in the breeze, you are family.

And there's no place like home...

No comments: