Thursday, January 24, 2008

Newly Single -- But on the Market?

Just this week I realized that there is a whole other tier to my life that is new that I had completely overlooked. Sure, the baby thing is a "biggie," but subtly accompanying the growing belly and excitement about my little girl is another "new" me that I had overlooked until the past few days.
That fact is that I am single. Duh, right? Sure, I know it. And I've been enjoying my own personal space, especially in dealing with how much I've been changing. But I had been ignoring one big component of being single -- the fact that I can talk to, hang out with and date whoever I want.
Dating has definently been the LAST thing on my mind, but a few days ago, it reared it's unexpected head during a conversation with a stranger. He was attractive, and young, and a professional success. It seemed that there was no end to what we had to talk about... And before I could think about it, he was asking if I wanted to go out to dinner. I wrote down my number, and told him to give me a call. No big deal, right?
But as I laid in bed that night, rubbing cocoa butter on my tough shell of a stomach to prevent stretch marks, with my feet propped up on a stack of pillows to prevent swelling, as I drank a glass of tomato juice with my prenatal vitamin to prevent indigestion, a thousand new questions and doubts entered my mind.
What had I done? I had given my number to a complete stranger, just like I had so many times in bars and clubs when I was still skinny... The difference, of course, is that this time I was sober, and probably looked a bit on the chubby side to him, and I had failed to mention the fact that I was over 6 months with child. What if he really called? Then what? Should I tell him I was pregnant? Should I just accept a dinner invitation and act like my bump was a beer gut?
What if he was a con-artist who just wanted to kidnap me and steal my beautiful unborn child and sell her to gypsies in Thailand?
And just like turning your back on that incoming wave on the horizon, a new realization engulfed me and swept me off my feet into the current.
It would no longer be just me -- single or not. Maybe I am free to date whoever I want, but the questions will forever be weighted. Instead of "I wonder if he likes to go to the movies?" I will be asking, "How would he look with a pink diaper bag over his shoulder?" And the truth is, any overnighters will be out of the question because it will take a long time before I trust anyone -- stranger or not -- around my little girl. It certainly is a change from the days I woke up to a living room full of people on the couch I had never seen before in college (hey, we lived 10 feet from the most popular bar -- it was a crash pad).
Still, it's flattering and somewhat liberating to know that I can accept those offers, and that there are guys out there who will make them. And maybe, just like this baby has been such an unexpected joy in my life so far, someone will pop up in my life and surprise even me.
But just being cute is no longer a date-able quality. There are two girls' happiness I have to consider.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I was thinking.....Ever since you were a baby you were the smartest person I know, You used to read me books when you were like two years old! I can't believe the time has flown by so fast and now we are both grown! I have been a horrible cousin and I promise someday to get back in touch with my family, thank god for the internet huh! If you haven't figured it out yet this is Josh and I miss you and all the family from the north, If you ever wanna come visit or if you ever need anything please let me know! Oh and by the way besides the email you can also see what I've been up to at www.joshfullerband.com. :-) I hope to hear from you soon!

Love,
Josh and family!