Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Clean House?

What kind of home is suitable for a child? And who determines this? And can I find them on google??
I read and write about those stories everyday where a home is considered "unfit" and kids are pulled from their parents. Usually there is some level of disarray, and dirt, and neglect. Nothing like my apartment, right?
I woke up today, and looked around my house, and was horrified. My kitchen trash was overflowing (because I dread trying to haul it down my stairs); I couldn't remember if my full dishwasher had clean or dirty dishes inside; a curling iron, straightener, crimper and set of hot rollers crowded my bathroom sink (at least a week's worth of hair-dos); my refridgerator held pickles, mustard, an apple and BBQ sauce (oh, and an expired tub of cream cheese).
Minus the Pack N' Play bursting at the seams with newborn diapers, tiny shoes and 100 onesies, it was an official batchelorette pad. A place where a very busy girl stopped in and out here and there to shower and sleep... Not a home. A very unsuitable place for my little girl.
Maybe it's because I am planning a move to something bigger (more space to mess up), or because in my mind, her birth is still just an obscure thought off in the distance... Or maybe I'm just not the homemaker type. Everyone says I should be "nesting" and it's true that I've gone through a few days of organization and windexing. But where are my "arts and crafts" instincts? When will my desire to make my random surroundings into a baby palace kick in??

No comments: