Sunday, July 13, 2008

My new vocabulary...

I've oft been accused of using rare and unusual words both in my writing and normal language. My children's literature professor used to write KISS on my stories... (no, it wasn't a proposition. it means Keep It Simple Stupid). Sometimes I'll say or write a word and not even know where it came from, or why I thought it necesssary to say it at that moment...

Here's a rundown of some of the newest words and phrases I find myself saying lately...

Bumbo, boppy, binky, boo, Elsie-bug, diapie, feetsies, sleepy-sleep, boogie-bear, Snugli, gassie-bubbles, burpies, onesies, Chunky Monkey, noodle, kissy-boo, pajama jam (as in, "let's have one!") and wiggle-worm...

It's not like she even understands any of these items yet, so I could call them anything I wanted, like disposable infant underwear, or upright plastic seat. Or I could call her my "highly active infant" or my "robust daughter." But somehow these things just don't roll off the tongue...

The truth is, it won't be long before she's correcting me and telling me, "No Mom, I'm a kindergartner not a cuddle-bug." So why not use make-believe words and silly phrases for awhile?

It might be the only time I can get away with it...

No comments: