Monday, April 21, 2008

#30 -- The Kindness of Strangers (and familiar faces)

If you are anything like your mom, you will automatically assume that everything is your responsibility and that you need to take care of each detail yourself. While I encourage independence, try not to overlook the people reaching out to you along the way.

Of course the most surprising is when a stranger does something kind, like lets you go before him or her in line at the store when you only have one thing, or asks you if you are "ok" in the crowded post office when you are looking especially glum. No matter how into your own thoughts you may be, return the kindness with a smile and a "thank you" and then try to pay it forward. I remember a strange break-down of my car just after dark as I drove from Indianapolis to see the family in Michigan City. I was two hours away from Indy, and at least an hour from home, on the side of a very busy intersection. It was freezing, and dark, and I was about a mile from the nearest exit. An off-duty police officer pulled over, helped me get my car to safety, found a friend who had a temporary replacement part and took me to the nearest McDonalds to wait for my parents to pick me up. I tried to pay him with what little cash I had in my wallet, and he refused. At first, I felt bad for inconveniencing him on a Friday night. But he seemed pleased to help, and relieved that he had come along when he did. Who knows what may have happened as I waited for other help to come that night? But the kindness of a stranger kept me safe, and warm, and surprisingly calm in an odd and scarey situation.

Perhaps the easiest kindness to overlook is that of the people you see everyday. It is simple to take for granted the sacrifices people make for you on a regular basis. Whether your boss gives you more of the tasks you enjoy, and less of the ones that bore you, or a friend keeps you updated on the score of the big game while you are busy at work -- try to appreciate the people around you who are taking the time to think of you. And I'm not just saying this because as your mom, I will face many thankless days. While I hope that you are grateful for all you will be given in your life, I am not in it for the "thank yous" or mother's day gifts. All that I'm suggesting is to at least recognize that there are people out there pulling for you, and to appreciate it.

Already so many people love you and would do anything to be sure that your life here on earth is as fulfilling, safe and wonderful as it can possibly be. You are going to be one lucky, and spoiled, little girl. I hope it pushes you to become a strong and compassionate woman.

No comments: