Sunday, April 13, 2008

#35 -- Books

Even when I was growing up, it was considered a little old-fashioned to read a book. It was something reserved for a lazy afternoon, or an assignment for school. Most people don't come home from work, lounge in their favorite recliner and open up a book. It's much easier to flip on the television, or get online, for entertainment. And actually, I think that there is value in those activities -- some of the best modern writers are using their talents in mediums outside the standard "great American novel." But if you can find at least a few of those great American, or African, or European novels to love, you will be inspired in all aspects of your life.

Some of my personal favorites, that will surely still be available in bookstores and libraries when you are ready...

The Awakening, by Kate Chopin
Angela's Ashes, by Frank McCourt
The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold
The Hours, by Michael Cunningham
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
To The Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolfe
Marley and Me, by John Grogan (prepare to cry for weeks on end)

This is just a short list of the books that I have read, and re-read, and copied paragraphs from to look at later on when I am doing my own writing. It's incredible to me that people are able to use plain words to paint full pictures that are tangible to the reader -- unlike television, and movies, and the internet which complete the entire picture for you.

I've already got a few children's classics waiting for you, including some Dr. Seuss. I'll also keep my "big kid" books on hand for you...

No comments: