Sunday, March 30, 2008

#45 -- Unmet Expectations

At first glance, this seems to be a topic that would be something that would discourage you in life -- not something that you will love. But perhaps my title is misleading...

You will build your expectations about life, people and even yourself based on what has happened to you in the past, what has happened to other people, and what personal experience has taught you to that point. And for the most part, what you are predicting on a day-to-day basis will go exactly as planned, without deviation.

Which is what will make those unexpected plot twists so exciting. When a situation you believe will be bumpy goes surprisingly smoothly, the relief will be greater than you anticipated. When your career takes a path you had not planned, but leads you to greater opportunity than if you had just gone along the well- beaten trail, you will be enlightened. And even when unexpected tragedy, or loss, or problems in a friendship or relationship pop up without warning, you will learn the depth of your caring heart and appreciate the people around you with new insight.

I was not expecting you at this point in my life. Never in my childhood dreams or adulthood goals did I see myself in this situation, at this crossroads. But it is with unmatched anticipation and joy that I await you today -- knowing not to place too much emphasis on my expectations. From day one, you have been an inspiration to me and even though I don't know what you will look like on your birthday or in 20 years, your face is already imprinted in my heart.


I expect great things from you. Determine what those things will be and chase them down -- but remember to embrace the unexpected.

No comments: