Tuesday, March 25, 2008

#50 -- Sunshine

I have reached the 50-day countdown to my baby's due date. Of course, she may decide to screw up all my plans and come early (on purpose, of course, haha) or be stubborn and stay in there longer than 40 weeks (in which case, I will be the whale-woman waddling through Wal-mart looking for more pillows)....

Still, 50 seems like such an important number that I thought I would start a list leading up to her birth. I think I'll call it, "50 things to love about life." Sounds like an Oprah book club selection (maybe someday...), but I think it will be something she can read throughout her life and remember what things her mommy was thinking about in the days before meeting her. Thus....

#50: Sunshine. You will spend the beginning of your long life in an especially warm climate, compared to other locations you will probably reside. This makes you both lucky, and at a disadvantage, because you may not grow to appreciate the sunshine as much as the rest of the world. Ask Grandma Sally and Grandpa Bruce -- when the last dreary days of March begin to fade in Northwest Indiana, and the flowers welcome the few hot months, just the feel of sunshine on your skin makes you glow. It's why you see so many Hoosiers out in their flip-flops and T-shirts on a 50 degree day, throwing frisbees or just sitting in a lawn chair watching the cars go by. It's the promise of sunshine, and the positivity it emits.

But if you should find yourself snuggled up in a quilt, drinking hot chocolate and watching the icy snow blanket your front yard someday, enjoy it's beauty -- but remember that the sun will return soon, bringing color to your cheeks and warmth to your heart.

No comments: